Home

That was close!

Although the weather in Virginia has been rather mild this summer, we still have been spending quite a bit of time at the pool... and I don't know if it's the fact that my kids seem to behaving much better, or I'm suffering from "3rd Baby Syndrome" and so things don't actually seem as they bad as they really are.... but I have managed to trick myself into believing that going to the pool is actually relaxing!

I'm currently in the phase in my life where I spend most of my time in the baby pool with my 3 1/2 year old, and 9 month old sons, while my 7 1/2 year old is just beyond the fence in the "big pool", playing with friends and jumping off the diving board. I am also very fond of a little floatie for the baby that keeps him entertained and safe while he toddles around the baby pool. A few days ago, I was feeling especially comfortable and I stepped out of the pool while he was entertained, and started the "clean-up process". I had allowed myself to get distracted in a conversation, and took my eyes off him for a few seconds. Suddenly, I hear my 3 year old call out, "Mom"... and I look over to see the baby upside-down in his floatie with his little legs (one pool shoe on, one pool shoe off) kicking up in the air!

I bolt across the deck as fast as I could, but my rescue probably would have been quicker if I ran AROUND the circular baby pool and stayed on dry ground. But it's just like me to choose the most dramatic course and so you shouldn't be surprised to hear that I booked it through the knee-deep water, "Bay Watch Style", in time to see him arching his back to reach the top of the water, eyes wide open, feet still kicking! I snagged him from his floating trap, and held him close checking for breathing and signs of life. Surprisingly, there was a wide-eyed sputter, a cough and a little sigh. He was fine! I started sobbing... grateful that he was okay and completely ashamed that I let it happen! Needless to say, our pool excursion was done for the day!

Now, 3 days later, I am the only one showing signs of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. I refuse to leave his side or take my eyes off of him while in the pool, and he continues to show no fear of the water.

Things to be grateful for: An observant 3 1/2 year old, and the under-water instincts of my precious little 9-month old... not to mention, my high-stepping rescuing abilities!

Comments

0 Responses to "That was close!"

Post a Comment

Popular Posts