Home

If I could change one thing...

I've come to a point in my life where I'm pretty content with my body. Yes, I know that there are areas that need some work... I'm not blind, people! But after more then a few years, I've grown accustomed to my large eyes, long legs, and detached earlobes.

But yesterday, I felt embarrassed about my appearance for the first time in a long time, while sitting at my very own dinner table. This is the conversation word for word.

Mike (my husband): "Hey Josh, what's between mom's eyes?"
Josh (my 7 year-old son): "Her nos..." (he stopped himself as soon as I looked in his direction, and corrected himself)... "oh wait, ... a big goat horn!"
Mike, Josh and Caleb: "Look, it's Goooaaaat Mooooom!" ... followed by goat noises and giggling... even Baby Brooks joined in the laughter!


For those of you who may be unfamiliar with the term "Goat Mom", it's the title that my family gives me whenever the slightest blemish makes an appearance on my usually clear skin. But as embarrassing as it is, I have to admit, I can't really blame them, because it really doesn't help when that "blemish" is planted smack dab in the middle of my eyes! I mean, really... that zit is almost ASKING for someone to compare it to a horn simply because of it's location! Honestly, I can only think of one place that would be worse then right between the eyes.

The thing is, whenever Mike gets a zit, I try to reverse the name-calling and reciprocate the animal sounds (all in fun, of course), but it just doesn't have the same effect. The boys don't join me in the banter when it's directed at their dad, because there's apparently something about "Gooooaaaat Moooom" that allows it to roll off the tongue with more ease... or maybe I'm just not as good at rallying the troops and uniting them in the same cause... or maybe I'm just an easy target because I'm outnumbered 4 to 1!

Whatever it is, I find myself at a loss for words.

Is there anyone else out there who feels the same way? How do you deal with being outnumbered in your family? I'm desperate for some moral support!

Comments

1 Response to "If I could change one thing..."

Anonymous said... October 10, 2009 at 2:02 AM

You have such a great talent for writing! Your mom sent me to your site a few months ago and I must say I'm a fan. You're so real and I can relate to a lot of your posts. The ones I don't relate to are so funny I wish I could. I'm sorry you feel so outnumbered, but I don't think its a boy thing. I have 4 girls and just recently a new baby boy and I feel outnumbered all the time. I think dads are just good at pep talks and the like. I seem to be on the wrong side of a conversation all the time! Just the other day my husband talked all the girls into begging mom to trade ye old mini van in for a school bus. WHAT!!! Sorry, that's not really my dream ride. Remember, just like in second grade, the boys only tease the girls they really like.
Daphni

Post a Comment

Popular Posts