Home

I think I had a heart attack!

The other day, Mike and Josh went to the baseball field to practice. I was chatting on the phone. Brooks was down for his nap. Caleb was upstairs playing LEGOs. I glanced out the window and saw an empty COP CAR parked right outside my house. I found myself sneaking and peeking around trying to locate the cop, and my heart jumped when I saw him walking up my driveway. I immediately ended my phone call. It became very obvious that I've watched too many forensic/crime tv shows, when my first thought was to hide or run out the back door... but I did the opposite and opened the door before he even rang the doorbell.

Policeman: Ma'am... (why do they always have to call you Ma'am? it sounds so old)... Do you own a black cadillac?
Me: Yes, it's my husband's car.
Policeman: Do you know where your husband is?
Me: Do YOU know where my husband is?
Policeman: Well, we found his car...

(Tears were welling up at this point. I had seen this moment on TV... and always found myself wondering what I would do if that ever happened to me. Is that crazy? I always wondered if I would cry in front of a stranger, or scream like they do on the movies? So, when I could hear my voice shaking and the tears were on the verge, I knew at that second that I was definitely capable of making a scene.)

Policeman:... Apparently it's been abandoned over at T------ Little League for 2 weeks now.

(Okay, now I KNOW this was a misunderstanding, since I know for a fact that it has NOT been parked over there... because he comes home every night.)

Me: (regaining my composure) My husband and son go there to practice quite a bit for a couple hours... around this same time... and I'm guessing he parks in the same spot closest to the field. I'm sure that everything's fine because I just saw him an hour ago. So I'm sure that it only APPEARS to be abandoned.

Policeman: Well, maybe just tell him to park more randomly so it doesn't alarm the Little League staff.

After I drove over to the field to get visual confirmation of my husband and first-born child, I'm grateful for this experience for one very important reason... I finally have an actual confirmation that Mike and Josh spend WAAAAAYYYY too much time thinking/practicing/playing baseball!... I rest my case!

Comments

6 Responses to "I think I had a heart attack!"

Emily said... August 19, 2010 at 10:51 PM

Oh.my.gosh.that.is.hilarious. Okay, completely upsetting in the moment (my tears would have been coming too), but hilarious now! Glad everyone is okay. By the way, I would love free tickets when your son is in the majors after all this practice!

Giggles said... August 28, 2010 at 2:35 PM

If you have to be visited by the cops, that's probably the best way to do it. That's funny that they'd think the car was abandoned.

Stopping by from MMB.

Julie said... August 28, 2010 at 3:12 PM

Very funny! Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said... August 28, 2010 at 7:37 PM

I think I would have had a heart attack too!! And you're right....too much time at the baseball field.

Stopped by from MMB.

Hilary said... September 2, 2010 at 3:45 PM

THAT.
IS.
HILARIOUS.
I'd make the cop sign a note or something. :)

Anonymous said... January 7, 2011 at 2:20 AM

Okay, as I was reading this I was only at the part of the Policeman saying, "Well, we found his car, " when Tyler asks, "Isn't that one funny?" While I'm at the edge of my seat, and my chest getting tight. I know you would inform me of anything like that other than in your blog, but wow, you had me going!! You have a gift KaLisi! I love reading these!!! Love SHAY

Post a Comment

Popular Posts