Home

War Zone

I'm not speaking metaphorically today. It was a literal WAR ZONE in my house today! I've got the nerf wounds to prove it! I mistakenly walked in the cross-fire of a nerf dart battle and was pelted at least 7 times.

Even little Brooks got in on it. Although he couldn't cock his own gun, he was a vital part since he was the Artillery Commander. All I heard was, "More ammo!" being yelled through the halls, followed by the pitter-patter of little bare feet as he scrambled to pick up all the darts and deliver them to his com rads.

But if it's not nerf guns and darts, it's Gi-Joe's and Army guys... and when I don't hear the whistling of darts, it's usually the crash of blocks and legos as miniature forts and hide-outs are destroyed in combat.

It's times like these that I'm reminded of a poem by Robert Louis Stevenson that I learned in 6th grade.

When I was sick and lay a-bed,
I hate two pillows at my head,
And all my toys beside me lay
To keep me happy all the day.

And sometimes for an hour or so
I watched my leaden soldiers go,
With different uniforms and drills,
Among the bed-clothes, through the hills.

And sometimes sent my ships in fleets
All up and down among the sheets;
Or brought my trees and houses out,
And planted cities all about.

I was the giant great and still
That sits upon the pillow-hill,
And sees before him, dale and plain,
The pleasant land of counterpane.

I never could relate to this poem before. But after 3 boys, I'm happy to report that this is my life... and where there are "war zones", there are three happy boys... and I love that... every second of it!

Comments

6 Responses to "War Zone"

Anonymous said... August 14, 2010 at 7:03 PM

Oh how I so relate to your posts! You are one fun Mama! My kiddos where on the trampoline last night, in the freezing rain, laughing so hard I could hear them clear in the house! Oh how boys are so fun!

Amanda said... August 14, 2010 at 7:05 PM

Kalisi!! What cute blogs! :)
-Amanda Cracroft

Emily said... August 15, 2010 at 5:59 PM

I seriously belly laughed picturing Brooks with the ammo. So fun.

Lesa said... August 21, 2010 at 3:10 PM

I totally get this. I have two boys who love to do all things boys. I love how boys make the sounds of guns, cars, trucks, and ammo. My boys are 17 and 12 but they have fun still..probably more fun than when they were little guys. I love it too.

Stopping by from MMB.

Sharon Cohen said... August 21, 2010 at 4:29 PM

What fun you have as mother to boys. I admire you for that. I raised two girls so I missed out on all that stuff. I need to remember what little boys are like - because now I have three grandsons! You'll re-educate me!

I'm here from MMB - first time on this blog hop so I'm reading and following everyone. It has been an uplifting Saturday activity. I appreciate your donation to my day.

Caroline C. Bingham said... August 21, 2010 at 10:55 PM

I can so relate!

Post a Comment

Popular Posts